Monday, July 26, 2010

Candles By Victoria: First Ever Review

Via Youtube i stumbled across this site called Candles By Victoria where it's a women's own business handpouring home made candles. I'd been looking at her site for a couple of weeks before I decided to host one of her "Candle Parties". I haven't gotten to order yet, I was waiting until after my party for my party benefits, but my mother helped me out and decided to order some candles.

She got 5 of the Mini Candles (page 14 for $5.00 each), which I must say are just adorable. They come with this cute sticker on the stop that looks homey, vintage and aged to just give it a touch of warmth.

First up is...
Banana Nut Bread.


Like most of these scents, which are all bakery, they have an overwhelming buttery smell to them. I'm pretty positive that when burned the butter scent will mellow out and give way to the other scents making up the candle. I smell a nutty scent under the butter, and maybe a tad bit of banana. It's not very powerful though. It's a good scent, probably not one I'd buy in a bigger candle but would definitely burn this one. I'd enjoy smelling this in my room or throughout the house.

Butter Brickle

This is like a much much stronger version of the butter smell I get in the Banana Nut Bread. Overwhelmingly so. It's not bad, very buttery sweet smelling. I don't know if I'd want my house to smell like this, because I'm not one for butter scents. My mom got these so that's what she's into. It's not bad, I don't hate it, but I want to see how powerful this is when burning because if its as strong when burning I doubt I'll enjoy it. So if you like butter scents, you'll love Butter Brickle, if you hate it or just wan it in a weaker scent, this isn't the candle for you.

Apple Pie Ala Mode

I'm not exactly sure what Apple Pie Ala Mode is. I don't get if it's different from apple pie or something and I don't feel like looking it up. What i smell in this is a Cinnamon-y apple, not strong on the cinnamon but just equal enough to have that nice complimenting smell. It reminds me of late fall, but especially winter/Christmas. It just reminds me of all the candles with reindeer and Santa's on them people have out that smell like baked goods. This is such a good scent for the holidays. It's apple pie but with a sweet note to it, or so I smell, like floral without flowers, if that makes sense. Probably not. There's another scent in with it but I can't figure out what. It's good though, if you like apple and a tad of cinnamon and winter scents.

Bubbling Butterscotch Sundae

This one smells so much like Butter Brickle. I just put them one by one up to my nose and it's almost identical. This one has a bit more of a ice cream note to it, but not enough to tip it over into a whole new scent, they are very very similar. I smell the butterscotch so well in this. Its the first scent to hit my nose, but I can almost smell the sweet ice cream dairy scent underneath it, just barely, which gives it that extra kick over Butter Brickle. Just like Butter Brickle, though, this is not my favorite scent. Not a butter fan, what can i say? Like it on popcorn, not in candles.

Butter Rum Crunch

I don't want to say I'm disappointed in these candles, because I'm not. This was not my order, this is not my taste in candles, and the scents themselves are not gross...they just aren't for me. So all these butter scents really aren't doing it for me, and I'm not good at picking out the different between them because just like the rest this one smells exactly the same. I honestly smell no difference between this one from the last one or the last one after that. I'm sure when burnt they'll smell a bit different from each other, seeing as how she puts 3 scents into every candle, but the butter scent will remain and ultimately that's what is ruining them for me. I'm not a butterscotch fan, whereas my Mother is, and that's just how it is. In my orders they'll be more fruity, or sweeter bakery scents like icing or something. It's just done to taste, is what it is.

Black Forest Cake

This one is probably my favorite. I wouldn't get this again, I doubt, but it's a good smell. It's true to its word. It's Black Forest Cake. I smell the chocolate and it's so amazing how I can smell the cherries. The cherries you smell the most, they're very strong, but it's like if you bent over a Black Forest Cake and took a wiff! It smells fresh, like it was just made or the cherries were just picked. This is going to make people think we're baking a cake when we burn it. Can't wait! The one thing is though that with cold throw it's very cherry-strong. When you smell it it kinda makes you move away a bit because it's very very strong, but I think anyone can see that when burnt it will mellow out a bit, distribute the rest of the smells and fill the house with a wonderful scent.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.... every order gets a free Scent Shot. They're used for a couple things. Sometimes people try out scents with them, but most of the time (and what they're really for) is to be used in a Tart Warmer which is an electric device that gets plugged in that melts the shots. I don't have one yet, so I can't burn it, but hopefully I'll get one soon.

Warm Vanilla Sugar


This was different then how I thought it would smell when i read the label. I thought it would be more like the bath and body work warm vanilla scent, instead it's more...floral. It smells very clean, and I can small the vanilla but its faint. Mostly it smells like body soap to me, or hand soap. Maybe it'll change when I burn it, but otherwise it's not a bad scent. It's clean, soapy; it would make my room smell better than it does, believe me. She has a lot more vanilla scents to try from so I'll just have to go through them to find which one I like!


Overall I'd give it a B+ because although the scents weren't up to my taste, they really smelled good and her candles are absolutely adorable. Can't wait to place my order!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio